My son cracked a joke today, while I was dabbing my face with compact powder, and I laughed. That’s when I noticed that the laugh lines on the left side of my face took a while to disappear. Since when has that been happening? I wondered. Why the left side? Probably because I lie on my left side more than my right. I immediately reminded myself to sleep on my back but then remembered that I occasionally snore (especially after a really hard few days), so that’s why I don’t prefer sleeping on my back.
Beauty is a fickle thing which, as the saying goes, is in the eye of the beholder. Though I don’t lose sleep over public opinion, I do feel that it’s still too early to get those laugh lines etched permanently on my face – therefore they must be examined and eliminated, or at the very least, reduced.
We know that there are simple beauty routines that we should follow to keep our skin looking healthy, address existing concerns and prevent new one from happening such as cleansing, toning, exfoliating, serum, moisturizing and SPF. But those actions will not be able to yield the best results possible if we don’t help make things easier for our skin to rejuvenate and protect itself.
I know that aging cannot be stopped, but I believe aging can be postponed. How to postpone aging? Creams? Surgery? No, I believe there are ‘natural’ ways to do it – and the results are almost instantaneous!
Here are my 10 almost immediate, long term steps to looking better than today:
- Get sufficient sleep – while it’s not possible to remember how many hours of sleep I’ve lost and gained since my first pregnancy, I try to make up for it the best I can. But beauty sleep remains something quite elusive.
- Drink lots of water – not just 8 glasses, but I do try to take at least 1 glass of water every hour from the time I wake up until I sleep. Sure that’ll mean more visits to the loo, but that’s not a bad thing – detoxify.
- Workout at least 3 times a week for at least 10 – 15 minutes each. My favourite workout is this dance/Zumba video from Tummy Tone Party Zone with Marie Forleo. However, I must admit, during this fasting month, my workout routine has reduced quite dramatically.
- Eat lots of veggies and fruits –this is my criteria for favouring an outlet, the variety of veggies available.
- Smile more often and think positively at all times – it’s easier to think positively when I smile than when I frown.
- Hold that temper – not easy, a work-in-progress for decades.
- Don’t stand under the sun except when really, really necessary.
- Don’t sleep without cleansing the face and doing the skin care routine – unless I’m really unwell.
- Avoid junk food, sugar and sodas.
- Dress appropriately – this one is quite tricky. It has something to do with style and wearing something that complements my body shape.
The last time I really practiced all the above for a week (especially No. 1), I noticed that my skin was more radiant, my heart happier, my body felt healthier and I definitely looked prettier. According to others, even my eyes sparkled! And now, I try to practice at least half of the items on the list everyday.
As they say, the best things in life are free – well, almost free.
How to Get a More Radiant You for Free (well, almost free)