Dark circles or under-eye circles can add at least half a decade to our looks. And they also make us appear ill and haggard. Those dark discolouration under our eyes are even worse than the wrinkles or crow’s feet that lines the outer corners of our eyes.
Women all over the world spend hundreds, if not thousands of dollars annually to banish dark circles and yet to no avail, mostly. We have to depend on make-up to hide those dark circles and that is not a solution that any woman enjoys. It’s akin to hiding the symptoms and not even treating the symptoms, let alone treating the cause.
Reduce Dark Circles Naturally
If you are one of those who live with dark circles, you may try these tips. While they may not be able to totally banish dark circles especially for those who genetically inherited them, these tips may help lighten those dark circles and brighten your eyes.
- Get sufficient sleep – between 7 to 8 hours of restful sleep is best. I know it’s hard, especially with the demands of life and work, but not impossible. Skip movie night, less talking, reduce window shopping, and maybe we’ll have a few hours extra for peaceful snoozing. For moms with little kids, get help from hubby or others. Your health, not just your skin, will benefit from the occasional rests.
- Drink sufficient water – please refer to my previous post about the recommended daily intake of fluid based on body weight.
- Practice yoga or meditate – especially if you have a hectic lifestyle and a stressful job. If you can’t afford or don’t have the time to join a yoga class, you can always try those free lessons on You Tube.
- Refrain from alcoholic drinks, smoking and eating unhealthy diet. I am definitely not against the occasional potato chips, chocolate and cakes – but I limit my intake and make ‘amends’ the next day…. 😀
- Nutritious diet and exercise – try your best and remember, walking is a great exercise!
- Reduce exposure to sun but if you must stand under the sun, wear a hat or use an umbrella and apply some sunscreen.
- Remove all make-up before you sleep, always.
Those are the basic guide to improve your skin (which includes your eyes), and now for the recipes that you could try out as often as possible to help reduce dark circles:
- Place thin slices of cucumber over the eyes for 20 minutes.
- Grate cucumber slices and dip facial cotton pads (divide the piece into 2 thinner pieces) into the juices and place on the dark circles under the eyes. Leave it on for at least 20 minutes.
- Put used tea bags under the eye bags.
- If you not allergic to nuts, you could gently massage almond oil around the eyes daily. Almond oil not only help to lighten dark circles, it also moisturise and nourish the eyes.
- Combine coconut oil and Vitamin E (plus a few more) to make your own wonderful home-made eye cream using the recipes and methods shared in the fabulous blogs, Ramblings of A Happy Homemaker and Unsullied.
If you’re applying the oil before you sleep, apply ½ inch away from the lash line to prevent the oil/cream/gel from flowing down into your eyes. Use ring fingers to gentle pat.
Essential Oils and Aromatherapy
There are other recipes to reduce dark circles but most requires at least 4-5 types of essential oils which also depend on our age as provided by Valerie Ann Worwood in her book, The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy (1991). Among the ingredients are Hazelnut Oil, Evening Primrose, Lavender, Vitamin E, etc.
But don’t despair if you don’t have the inclination, time or strength to make your own homemade eye cream – there are many glorious organic eye-creams sold online, just google! You’ll be spoilt for choice. Just make sure you scrutinize the ingredients and give your eyes the best that you can afford. Remember, don’t rush towards fast results – go for long term benefits.
Now, let’s banish dark circles, everyone! 😀
– Beauty Tips : Reduce Dark Circles Naturally